Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using motion simulator for a reversing gear? (Unsure of the name, video inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerLew89

Aerospace
Mar 28, 2011
US
I am trying to replicate the motion shown in this system: Reversing direction under constant input

I have no real purpose for it other than to show some interns how motion simulation works.

Is there a way to define this type of motion in NX? I have only been able to get the output gear to rotate one way or the other. Other than that I just get errors.

I am new to motion simulation myself so go easy on me please :)

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure there's an easy way to do this with Motion Sim in NX, using traditional gears and joints.

The only two possibilities I can think of are to skip this portion of the mechanism, and use a Recurdyn formula function to drive a revolute joint that goes clockwise/anticlockwise at the correct intervals.

The other is to do a full 3D contact between fully-modelled gears, so that the teeth actually create the motion you are after. While this is possible, I would not recommend it due to how complex the solution would be, and the accuracy based on the degree of tolerance that always exists in using the contact tools in Motion Simulation.

Chris Abbott
TEAM Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back