Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Nastran to output Failure Indicies

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjshah

Aerospace
Apr 12, 2007
GB
Dear all,

I am having trouble using NASTRAN to output failure indicies.

I have been told that you can use NASTRAN to output failure indicies and then read the results into PATRAN through the .f06 file using the 'Utilities-Results-Read MSC failure indices' option. I have included below my executive control and case control cards.

Any help regarding what cards I require and do not require would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Vijay

SOL 101
$ Direct Text Input for Executive Control
CEND
SEALL = ALL
SUPER = ALL
FORCE(CORNER) = ALL
STRESS(CORNER) = ALL
ECHO = NONE
$ Direct Text Input for Global Case Control Data
SUBCASE 1
$ Subcase name : A2-007D
SUBTITLE=A2-007D
SPC = 3
LOAD = 2
DISPLACEMENT(SORT1,REAL)=ALL
SPCFORCES(SORT1,REAL)=ALL
GPFORCE=ALL
$ Direct Text Input for this Subcase
BEGIN BULK
PARAM POST 0
PARAM AUTOSPC YES
PARAM WTMASS .001
PARAM PRTMAXIM YES
PARAM NOCOMPS 1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which Patran version do you use?
From the MSC website:
MSC.Patran 2003 supports MSC.Nastran Composite failure indices. However, for the released version of MSC.Nastran 2001 r3 (version 2001.0.7) or earlier, DMAP alters will be required to enable the writing of the ply failure indices to the OP2 file. These DMAP alters are no longer necessary for the subsequent releases of MSC.Nastran 2001 r4 (version 2001.0.9 and beyond).

Also:

PARAM, NOCOMPS=1 (only element stresses and strains are printed)
PARAM, NOCOMPS=-1 (Composite ply stresses, strains and failure indices are printed)

So, i think if your looking for your composite failure indices, then you need to print them out to your F.06 file by using "-1", before importing the file through the utilities menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back