Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using planes to orient views

Status
Not open for further replies.

65CCJ

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2018
US
There is a method to select a plane or planes and orient a view. I don't remember what tool to select to orient the part based on the planes I selected. For instance, I could select a plane that is at 45 degrees with front view, select the plane and then select tool and tell it to make new plane Top View and another side view. I can't seem to find this tool. Does anyone know what it is or how to do this?

Thanks,

War Man

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't done it exactly the way you explain but what I have done is make a new named view in the part normal to the 45 degree plane using the view manager and then select that orientation to be used in a particular drawing view. From that starting point you can just make your regular projected orthogonal views in the drawing.

War man,
[ol 1]
[li]In the model, click on the plane, and click on the Normal-To button. This orients your view, in the model.[/li]
[li]Hit your space bar.[/li]
[li]One of the buttons that comes up allows you to name a "New[ ]View". Do so.[/li]
[li]Create a new view on your drawing, and select the named view.[/li]
[/ol]

--
JHG

In the model get where you want it to be. Could be from a plane or face, etc... click the Spacebar and select "Update Standard views" and select the view in the selection. The view you select is now oriented in that direction that you selected.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back