Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using POTS for VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackconsult

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2012
US
So my father in law upgrades his comcast so that he gets more high definition television, and VOIP. Unfortunately this caused a problem with the mother in law.

So lets back up to what they had before installing this upgraded service.

Before the upgrade:
The cable modem that provided their internet was back in the office at one corner of the house. The originally had Quest phone service so the base station of the phone system was at the end of the house. There were two other handsets one back were the computer is and one in their bedroom.

The upgrade to VOIP occurs:
I helped install the cable modem that included phone jacks for the VOIP service. To make this work we took the base station and moved it back to were the computer is and the handset that was in the computer room was moved out to were the base station used to be. It all works, except when one (mother in law) answers the phone she gets all sorts of static.

It is a VTEC 5.8 Ghz phone system and I have been trying to find a repeater solution. But I guess this a pretty old technology and don't know how successful I would be at doing a repeater system.

What I am wondering is the following: There is a POT port back were the computer is and a POT port where the base station used to be. I am wondering is there is a way to run a POT cable from the VOIP cable box over to the POT jack on the wall, then I could put the base station back it was originally and plug it into the wall.

Any way to do this ......

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't see why not, provided the POT line is really dead, not just virtually disabled. If it has literally been disconnected, then the POT lines are just copper conductors with convenient plugs, so you can move the base station back where you want it.

Thanks man. That would be what I am concerned with is in this day and age when you "call" a land line company like Qwest to disconnect that just do a "soft" disconnect. I am wondering if I look around outside if I could maybe find the incoming phone line and do a hard disconnect. Its on their property so its not illegal to do that is it?

Then there is the challenge of figuring out what to disconnect. I was thinking I could take a POTs cable and tie the copper leads together. Then I could use my fluke to do continuity checks and figure out which wires not to touch ..... but maybe I am dreaming.

So I talked with my electrical guy here at work. He said it is true that most hard wired phone companies will perform a soft disconnect when you switch over to VOIP. But he says I could give it a try, if its not working, the next step would be to go outside the house and disconnect what is most likely a coaxial connection that provides the land line phone service.

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

Some day I will sell everything, buy a cascade 36 or a cal 40 sailboat, and turn left at the Columbia River Bar !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back