Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using Radioss or Autodesk Explicit Solver with FEMAP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Er.Petter

Mechanical
Dec 23, 2021
NO
I have two questions regarding using an explicit solver in FEMAP.
1. Autodesk maintains its Explicit solver, is there any way to use Autodesk Nastran Explicit solver with FEMAP? Any tutorial or Guide?
2. Recently Altair has made Radioss open source as an OpenRadioss. Is there any way to integrate OpenRadioss Explicit solver with FEMAP?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Several years ago I used NEiExplicit. Since Autodesk bought NEiSoftware and Autodesk Nastran was the implicit version of NEiNastran it seams be reasonable to think the solver you mention used to be NEiExplicit. In that case, it should be fine to use it with Femap, that's what I did.

But if you are familiar with Nastran, check the nas-file. I think that was the input file.

Thanks for the reply,
Simcenter FEMAP does not directly link with the Autodesk (formally NEi) Explicit solver. And there is no support from either team.
Is there any link/ example of using NEi Explicit solver using FEMAP? The older version of FEMAP uses some API to generate impact. And that API is missing in the current FEMAP version.
The Ls-dyna, Abaqus Explicit, and radioss are leading explicit solvers.
Recently Altair has made Radioss open source, it would be great if the FEMAP team considered integrating it.
There is no explicit solver in Siemens's portfolio so the direct competition should not be an issue.

It was some time ago that I used NEiExplicit but I remember that both NEiNastran and NEIExplicit was used with NEiEditor. That was a text editor that was used to edit the nas-file and run the analysis, and also to visualize some results.

I don't remember for sure but I think that the file for the implicit transient was very similar to the explicit transient. The selection between implicit and explicit was probably done in NEiEditor. As for the impact API, I have a vague memory but never used it.

As for competition, Femap has had Nastran (different flavors), LS-Dyna, ABAQUS and others available for some time. If you open "Preferences"-"Interfaces"- and check "Enable Old Analysis Interfaces". After that you go to "File"-"Export Analysis Model"-"Other Interfaces" you will get several older interfaces. They have been supported but are not updated. It is a lot of work to keep things up-to-date.

There is no explicit solver in Siemens current portfolio. There used to be one in SOL701, Adina explicit. But that cooperation with Adina was cancelled. You can still run that solver from Femap but you need a separate license for Adina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back