Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using shell63+solid 185

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirumalai

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2003
IN
Hi,
I am doing rolling contact fatigue of two rollers. The rollers are running & one of the rollers is moved axially towards the other at high rpm. First I tried with shell63 only but could not find appropriate contact element between the rotating rollers(Node to node). Since Solid elements are short of rotational DOF, could not go in that way too.

I am now using both these elements such that shell is modeled inside the solid meodel (at the center with same thick). I have meshed both solid roller & shell in the same fashion. I am using contact wizard for contact between surfaces of the solid model & applying moment & BC in the shell elements. To transfer the displacements from shell to solid I coupled the coincident nodes along the circumference of the shell (at the center plane).

I could see the center fibre of the solid(along the thickness) is displacing more than the outer annulus surfaces. Thats obvious, but after this I tried coupling all the nodes along the thickness at every location of shell node (thinking that the motion will be transfered much good). But in the animation, the shell element only hits each other leaving all the solid nodes. The displacement in the solid model also proves nil. I could not understand the theroy behind it & I need to know whether my journey is in right road... Anybody can help me explaining.
Thanks in advance,
Thiru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back