Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using SolidWorks for aerospace sheet metal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

trithis

Aerospace
Jul 17, 2003
US
Can SW be used for layout of wing ribs, spars, intercostals and such? We are using Microcadum 2d for our layout now but want to go to 3D solids. I use MasterCam and Catia V-5 for solids on mechanical items, i.e. forgings, castings, cnc type of parts. SW seams easer to use than Catia but is it as powerful. Any input would be helpful on these systems, we are in the search and demo stage of our decision process.

Thanks for the help
Larry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my opinion, SolidWorks and Pro/E are not sufficient for aerospace design. SW has issues with tangency and curvature control that would make it unsuitable. Pro/E does not give the user the kind of surface geometry control necessary.

I know that Unigraphics and CATIA are capable of handling aerospace geometry. If you have CATIA, I'd say tough it out and learn to use it to the best of your (and CATIA's) abilities.

High-end modeling capability comes with enough rope to hang yourself. CATIA may be a bit cumbersome, but is far more capable where it counts for aerospace and automotive.

[bat]Good and evil: wrap them up and disguise it as people.[bat]

Surfacing tools in Solidworks are still pretty limited, but improving. Been looking at SurfaceWorks by AeroHydro ( Integrates fully into SolidWorks environment. Will provide 2nd order continuity and lots more tools.

I'm looking at this for a very different application than you are, so not sure if suitiable for you. If you call Aerohydro they will set you up with a fully functional trial version. Been working with one of their engineers on a specific problem. Very helpful and competent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back