Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using Spiral Welded Pipe as Structural Column 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

newarrived

Industrial
Sep 4, 2024
IR
Hi every one, does any body has any information about using Spiral Welded Pipe as structural columns? Any specific reference structure? Any specification or standard considering use of Spiral Welded Pipe in structural columns? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I remember reading some papers on this which (if I remember correctly) said that spirally welded columns have the same strength as an equivalent cold-formed CHS, i.e. the spiral weld will not be a limiting factor as long as it is a full penetration butt weld. This might have been by Brian Uy from University of Sydney.

Yes Bugbus, but Brian have worked on the concrete filled spiral welded pipes. I agree their strength are the same strength as a cold-formed CHS, but I need to know if any of structural codes has point on that. Or maybe some body knows an structure in any place that have used spiral weld pipe as a structural column without filling with concrete.

You might find some literature but you are pushing boundaries here. Analysis would be similar to that of thin cold formed members. So I'd look to your relevant code for guidance. But beware the thin wall members are not simple to analyse. Connections design can be tough enough on thin CHS let alone something even thinner.

I've seen some piles using spiral weld. Made on site. You might need to zoom in a bit....

In pressure pipe design there is no difference between seam welded and spiral welded.

20507520_1616591335032389_4557008014650716866_o_lslne4.jpg

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back