Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Steam Drum as support

Status
Not open for further replies.

parsomash1977

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2012
US
Hello All,

I have difficulties here to support the main steam pipe because there is no column, post or structure around at the elevation we are running the pipe(28ft). the only thing I see to use is the steam drum lift tabs and few braces from the drum to support catwalk alongside it.I am wondering is that allowable to do ? I mean can I extend that cat walk braces and knee brace it to support 12" pipe. also, what about put a post using that lift hanger on top of drum.
Your response is highly appreciated.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do the calc's say? "If it cannot be expressed in numbers, it is opinion, not engineering".

It is perfectly acceptable to do as you propose *IF* the numbers work out. You will be adding a significant structural load to a pressure vessel. This may add too much stress to the drum's nozzles. Additionally, allow for expansion. A main steam line is quite a bit longer hot than it is when cold and being fabricated. They have been known to rip out pipe supports that were a combination of too restrictive and too weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back