Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the EIT title: Business cards, email, etc. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tue98161

Civil/Environmental
Nov 23, 2012
US
I just passed my FE exam, and am now an EIT. I work at a small consulting company.

I wanted to ask advice/clarify a few things:

1. "EIT" title on business card? What are the reasons for/against doing this? What is most common?

2. Same question, but for email signature.

3. I'm not a PE, so I'm definitely not an engineer who signs drawings and calculations. But in conversation, either with people related to my field of work, or outside of my field, what is the best way to explain my "EIT" status? In other words, how do I accurately/ethically describe my responsibilities between doing engineering work but not actually being a licensed professional engineer yet? How do I not misrepresent myself?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm all for using EIT on your business cards, email sig, the bottom of reports your write. Be proud that you've come this far and are so close to the end.

When people ask for an explanation tell them exactly why you are an EIT at this time and not a PE. It's easy to describe that you've got your eng degree, and are working towards obtaining your seal and that's why you're noted as an Engineer-In-Training.

A few caveats, I'd include which state you have your EIT in. Probably not a huge risk but worth doing. Also, make sure your state wants it to be EIT and not EI (some states are picky about this).

Regarding actual titles and representation; as far as I know you're allowed to title yourself a "engineer" or "[blank] engineer" (traffic engineer, field engineer, civil engineer, etc.) on business cards/email/etc if you're working under a PE. Just be 100% sure nobody could confuse your title for any protected term such as "PE" or "professional engineer" (and "SE"/"structural engineer" if that applies in any states you work in).

Most EIT's I know did similar on emails and cards and I've never heard of any issues. Definitely be proud of it. Whenever I described the EI on my card I explained is was functionally the same as a medical intern. You know your stuff but need to get experience under a licensed engineer prior to being certified to go out on your own.

Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

Hey everyone, thank you for your posts so far.

Just had a thought occur: suppose I had a business card that went "John Doe - Civil Engineer @ XYZ Company". Is that potentially misrepresenting myself? Like someone could potentially read "civil engineer" as meaning a fully licensed PE?

Look at your state's laws online - most have specific rules about the language used. Some refer to only "Professional" engineers...some include the term "engineer".

Asking here at E-T is fine but you might get multiple replies that all are based on the various regions in which the respondents are licensed and not your own jurisdiction.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Echoing what was said above, check your state's laws, and if allowed, definitely put it on your business card.

I used to count sand. Now I don't count at all.

When I was an EIT I included it on my card and email signature. My official title was "Civil Engineer" so I used the additional EIT suffix to muddy-up any possible legal issues. I am not a lawyer, so I do not know if this would have actually saved me.

On a different note, I was told by several mid-level coworkers to not label myself as an EIT. I thought this was misleading, and did not follow their advice. Their reasoning was that people would not "respect" my opinion if they knew I was just a lowly apprentice.

appot said:
Their reasoning was that people would not "respect" my opinion if they knew I was just a lowly apprentice.

I'm glad you didn't listen to their advice. If I see someone title themselves a "[blank] engineer" (especially something dubious such as "sales engineer" or "field engineer" or whatnot) I will have much more first-impression respect for them if I see that they actually went to school for engineering and/or they are working towards their PE.

Plus, I've seen people not on the engineering path who were very smart people and who had their EIT. Our company VP went to school for civil engineering and got his EIT but is on the management track now and likely wont get a PE. I have tons of respect for his skills and can talk engineering shop with him because of it. So, yes, while the EIT doesn't convey as much respect as a PE might; it does establish ones qualifications and sets a benchmark. Overall I've found most EITs to be smart people who either had their career go another direction or who have bright ideas but don't always have the experience to back it up.

If you're an incompetent engineer then the only thing more letters after your name will do is impress people who are also incompetent engineers.

Quote (appot) said:
Their reasoning was that people would not "respect" my opinion if they knew I was just a lowly apprentice.

This is a real shame. "Engineer in Training" and "Engineer Intern" does not get the respect it deserves because so many people use "engineer" coupled with a prestigious modifier as TehMightyEngineer said. The ones that really bug me are when Project Engineers introduce themselves as a "PE" and Field Engineers introduce themselves as an "FE."

When I was looking for a job out of school, I had moved to a region where companies had not heard of my school, as good of an education as it was. I would tell them I had my EIT which should have been a recognized objective standard of competency, but all the HR people ever heard was "in training" or "intern." To the layman, the terms "in training" and "intern" sound like the EIT is still in school or kept busy all day scanning documents or making copies. Of course, this couldn't be further from the truth. While I wouldn't want to upset the rich and established history of the profession, I'd rather see it termed Resident, Fellow, or Associate.

I used to count sand. Now I don't count at all.

I don't think the EIT is really held in enough esteem for it to matter if it is there or not. I have seen managers and supervisors have their EIT certificate framed and hung in their offices. I chuckle a little bit whenever I see that. I chuckle even more when I see certificates for silly one day company internal trainings framed and hung. The only thing I would think an employer would see with the EIT is that this person probably will be able to pass the PE exam when that time comes.

I don't think leaving "EIT" off your business card or email signature is about being deceptive as much as it is about trying to not participate in alphabet soup. Sure, you can put EIT, MS, BS and your grade point average, but none of that really means much to the people you interact with. PE is different because that has an actual legal meaning.

Agreed with IRstuff, the EI title in Maine is also protected under the PE act (32 M.R.S. 1351(2)) and you can't call yourself a EI without having obtained this certification. To me the 4 years of school and the not-inconsequential FE exam is definitely something to be proud of.

Interestingly enough I also found that (in Maine at least) the board has advised that titling oneself as "[blank] engineer" without a PE license is considered holding oneself out to be a licensed engineer. Not sure if this is a new position by the board but back in my EIT days I put "civil engineer" on my cards. Whoops!

Definitely agree with the above advice that contacting your state board is the real deciding factor to your original question.

Hey all - thanks for the thorough responses! To clarify, I'm in Pennsylvania. I'll certainly look this issue up in context of my state laws.

I would not (and did not) put "Engineer" in my title, but I would (and did) put EIT. No need to say "engineer" if you say EIT.

Though ymmv with personal acquaintances, an EIT will generally get less respect in the industry than a PE in a professional sense. This is proper, in my opinion.

I graduated in Kentucky where being an EIT is a legal standing with the Kentucky Board of Engineers and Land Surveyors. You have to register with the board upon graduating to start the four year timer. I promptly moved to Michigan for my first job where this is not the case, but I still have EIT on my business cards and email sig. I have discussed it with other people in my firm and they say its pretty much your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back