Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utilities for newer ACAD not keeping up ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tools4u

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2003
US
WHAT are they thinking...........?

It just might be me BUT what happened to all the "add on" software for autocad.? The last version that had any decent helpful software to save us minions time and gain speed was with ACAD 2000.? I have tried all the new ACAD up to and including ACAD2004 Mechanical and a giant void for the mechanical designer is present. Even in the newest, picking and placing a threaded hole is time consuming not to mention impossible to annotate.
Some years back a program from "CimLogic" called "ToolBox" was on the market and stopped ACAD support when it was purchased by SolidWorks. (again...what were they thinking) If anyone has used it you know about ease of inserting just about anything 2D or 3D into a drawing (totally parametric & fill in the blanks once) and annotating with just a couple of picks. No one has supported ACAD since 2000 with a compatable product. Plus, Autodesk changed their code so a lot of the older addon's & lisp's don't work. Based on this void, I am forced to stay with 2000 & toolbox & autosolids until someone rips them from my cold dead fingers..........

The 3D capacity in ACAD 2004 is better in some respects but for people (like myself) who don't need Inventor 8 and just want to make simpler solids quickly & easly, forget it.

If AutoCad monitors this site, I hope they take a min to think about " TIME IS $$" for the smaller co's. Just as an example I can make a 3D solid block and place & subtract (4) counter bored holes for any type screw in approx. 1 min then annotate them with a couple clicks and NO typing.......try that in the newer ACAD's.

If anyone knows of a compatable product........PLEASE let me know.

Thanks
Gene

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree, the same is true with structural engineering. I used to be able to insert AISC sections, elevations etc. etc. as well as any fasteners from anchor bolts, to nails. No more... I hope they do monitor this site, and take this in to consideration.

Have you looked at Acad Mechanical 6 Power Pack or what ever their calling this product now, not Mechanical Desktop. This is a product that is similar to Acad but with tons of features for your discipline. It might be worth a look. It has features like built in parts library, Part referencing tied into ballooning, and way too many things to list here. BTW I'm also a AutoSolids user, great 3D tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back