Utility delta T 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Kumar

Chemical
Nov 23, 2019
IN
Hello all,
I have a general question as to why the utility delta T across a cooling tower or chiller (water based liquid utilies) are we considering 5C. What is special about this number , also currently my CW delta T in plant is 2C , so is my statement wrong that : Some heat exchange Equipment are undersized / utility line are oversized.

Is the 5C delta T a restriction to the utility generation equipment physical size?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the 5C delta in / out or difference between ambient wet bulb and Tout?

If the former then it just seems to be a good number that works best.

But much larger delta T is possible.

Alow delta Tin and out indicates less heat being rejected or your cooling water tower or flow is too big

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I don't believe 5C delta is a fixed number.

But 2C is very low. Something not right there.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi,
To me your post is meaningless. Go to the site, take a look at the cooling tower condition, compare its performances to the specifications.
So far, we have no idea about the temperature of the return stream to the cooling tower, no idea about the temperature and humidity of the air at your location.
Again, study the documents shared with you.

Pierre

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3a104dfc-af11-4e02-bcc0-606e9268691c&file=Cooling_Towers_Calculation.pdf
You are getting 2degC now because of low air humidity, and/or lower air temperature and maybe even less cooling load at this cooling tower(plant not running at design capacity). Delta T will be much worse in summer with high humidity and when plant is running full capacity.

And when plant cooling heat exchangers are fouled up with dirt and algae and microbial growth (which is common in these open loop cooling water circuits), heat exchanger return water temp may also be lower than expected, reducing thermal load at the cooling tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back