Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utility to Consultant: Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

HornTootinEE

Electrical
Nov 24, 2010
US
Leaving 5 yrs expierience at a utility as an EE to go to a Consultant: Looking for opinions and others who may have made the leap. Pros, Cons, etc. I've never worked consulting so that whole area is a mystery and a little scary to be honest. I've made no decisions but may have the opportunity to make such a jump.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Often as a consultant:
Lot of down time
Low pay
No benefits
Lots of "sales" time - little engineering
Lots of "brown nosing"

On the other hand, some people love this life style....

I had a similar experience to Mike's as a public servant, so only lasted 10 months. Never worked for a utility. Very satisfying career in consulting. So everybody has different stories to tell.

Me too. I spent 23 years in an apprentiship at a major Oil & Gas company to be able to start my own consulting company. First quarter in business I was in the black and the first full-year tax return I filed my tax bill was larger than my last year's gross salary with the Oil & Gas company.

MikeTheEngineer's experience is sad, but it may be unique to structural (it certainly isn't unique to Mike). You have to ask yourself "what do I have to add that is unique?" If you can't differentiate yourself from a thousand other sparkies then this might not be a great move. If you can and you have a network that might hire and you have the necessary financial and marketing skills you might find it to be a very rewarding life.

David

I've never worked consulting so that whole area is a mystery and a little scary to be honest. I've made no decisions but may have the opportunity to make such a jump.

Reasons not to jump;
Not enough gray hair
Not enough job experience
You will be given low level jobs – grunt work, coffee maker, errand boy, because the higher end consultants are too busy.
Stick with your current job and get more experience.

Reasons to jump;
Can’t think of one.

The reason to make the jump is at a utility you're an expense. At a consultant, you're a money maker.

I should add, this would be for a consulting firm, not on my own yet. Way to little expierience to be on my own, in my opinion.

The reason to make the jump is at a utility you're an expense. At a consultant, you're a money maker.

LOL, until the well runs dry. Consultants are always the first to get cut in the utility business!

I have been a consultant for almost 6 years now (after a pretty cushy job as a project engineer for a Manf. Company). Here is my take:

1.) You are right to be scared, it is unlikely you have all the skills right now to be effective as a consultant, clients expect you to lead them. It will be stressful but not impossible to make the change.

2.) Every consulting firm is very different. I have worked at 2 and while they work in exactly the same fields (Heavy Industry) they operate completely differently. Ask questions about how projects get done, who is responsible for what parts of the work and how will you fit in and how will you be evaluated.

3.) You will gain WAY more experience as a Consultant, basically they are paying you to see how everybody else does their engineering, their is no better way to learn. I learned more in 1 year as a consultant than the previous 4 in manufacturing.

4.) Early on you will probably be given the "bad projects" ie crappy clients, no winning type of projects. The sort of thing where the job needs to be done, no easy way to do it, and it is already late by 3 months. It won't be too fun.

5.) Hours are (and should be) way more flexible, and if your prospective owner/boss at a consulting firm expects you be be at your desk 8-5 pm every day, --run don't walk out the door.

6.) Are you good at interviews? Basically every new project you will have another interview with your new client, if you aren't good at small talk and showing your best side, it will be tough to convince your client you know what you are doing.

7.) Pay is mostly better (but not vacation/sick pay) and you will gain lots of contacts and experience that can lead you to being very employable. Honestly never had much fear of being unemployed for too long in the Recession.

8.) As I mentioned above vacation/sick time is in short supply (compared to a utility company) but as a consultant,you have tons of opportunities to take long weekends without using your vacation.

9.) You have to be prepared to act a bit more like you are running your own company than working for one. -That being; consulting firms will cut you loose in a NY minute so always have a backup plan.

10.)Never sign a do not complete clause.

11.) Are you licensed? If not get your license first.

It depends on the Consulting firm. Does it have a strong backlog? Does it have a particular strong point that is in demand? At what point will you have to be a cost center (you will be responsible to book the work)?

I tend to agree with metengr; get more experience and get more industry contacts before making the leap.

A lot of dark comments here though most people experiences are better.

You will definately get a broader range of experience than in a utility.

You will be more likely to be thrown in the deep end and allowed to sink/swim but that is all part of the challenge.

Horn,

Based on you already being licensed, and that you are an EE, I would say you have a better chance than most at being successful.

In most firms the electrical work is reasonably well defined (but late in arriving) and straight forward, although you are still likely to be dealing with old wiring, MCC, and control systems that no one knows much about, but that is why people hire Consultants in the first place.

That is if you are o.k. with #6 on my list.

KDL-

Well, I had a first phone interview with the constulting firm's HR department, then I am having a phone interveiw with another manager at that company at sometime soon, when we can get our scheudles to jive. I'l ask pointed questions and see what they have to say.

This company does the industrical/commercial/building type jobs, but the positions they are interested in me for is the utility engineering side of things-medium voltage distribution up through HV substations.

Thanks for all the input.
I will update when I get more info.

This board has been great for this type of advice. So many people with so many different backgrounds that can comment on their expieriences is very helpful.

KDL-

Had a face to face interview with the consulting firm (400 employees) last week, got a job offer this week. 10% raise, full moving package.

Not sure what to think. I have contacts in the group I'd be working with, and they don't know the other world from consulting, I don't know the inside world. Not sure what to do.

I am in field work now, I like the field work but my current position is getting very stressful to the point I can't keep it up another say year or two without blowing my stack.

My biggest concerns about consulting: Work gettin routine and boring, and the hours.

Any comments or opinions from anyone? Location is not an issue in this case, mostly fear of the unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back