Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utilizing MBD dimensions as driving dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sa-Ro

Industrial
Jul 15, 2019
IN
Hi

Is it possible to use MBD (Dimxpert) dimension as driving dimension?

I would like to reduce the time frame between design to drawing.

Present case:
Sketching 2D and constraining with relations and dimension.

Creating 3D feature.

Creating 2D drawing by importing 3D model into 2D drawing template and again dimension the part. If dimension annotations are imported from 3D model, the dimension line attached to the part is not clear (Attached to the center of part. not from edge) or different orientation.

For tolerance analysis: dimension the part with MBD / Dimxpert feature.

Mention the assembly sequence.

Define target to calculate the tolerance analysis.

Expecting feature:
If MBD (Dimxpert) dimension are used as driving dimension, the above said process can be modified as below:

Rough sketching.

Create 3D feature.

Position each feature by dragging (Moving the hole, drag the face / edge). Apply relations to features / surface and MBD dimension.

Import 3D model into 2D drawing template for tradition printout / 3D PDF for MBE concept.

Assembly sequence can be defined during assembly.

Now the tolerance analysis can be done for many targets within a clicks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing I have learned in doing this for over 40 years: you can automate extraction of data from an image but you cannot automate good engineering. Whether you use MBD or not you are still responsible for how an average user might interpret OR MISINTERPRET your drawing. In my opinion attempts to automate too many steps in the design process simply lead to unanticipated mistakes, poor communication, and failures. For what its worth.

What is the purpose of your question?
Are you asking if you can do it in SolidWorks? No, you can't.

Are you trying to have a conversation about an ideal workflow? Folks here don't have much ability to make it a reality.

The whole idea behind MBD is to eliminate 2D drawings. So it seems like you are going backwards.

If you have a base dimension that you are using for the model reference/as definition, then use formulas.

Otherwise I'm not sure where you are going.

I agree with MBD concept is to eliminate 2D.
Since we are in transformation stage, some of our vendors have digital manufacturing system compatiable with MBD, some vendors don't have. So we can not practise two methods.

Hence if there is a possibility to utilize MBD dimension for 2D, it will be easy.

One more point.

My concern not only 2D drawing. I am concerning about tolerance analysis without duplication work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back