Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UVC Reflector Material or Coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeck

Mechanical
Jul 4, 2005
CA
I'm looking for a material that is highly reflective for UVC (240nm to 265nm band). I need it to be cheap and easy to form a reflector out of it. Or if anyone knows of a coating process that can be used on a formed piece of aluminum that would be good for reflecting UV. It would be used as a reflector/concentrator from a UV bulb.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might want to google Dichroic Reflector...

these are reflectors that pass IR wavelengths, I'm sure that using different thickness and type you could make a reflector that filters for UV.

IF the backing for this reflector is Al, remember that polished Al has a very high reflectivity for both IR visible, and I think UV.

NickE, thanks for the quick reply!

I've being testing highly polished aluminum (CoilZak) and it works very well for visible and IR, but not as well as I hoped for UV.

From some Googling I've found a company called Acton Research Corporation that makes a coating out of No. 3000-SI Al-SiO2. Does anyone know if this can be purcahsed in a sheet format?

I worked on a project that used an enhanced coating on Al for reflectance in the UV range. Looking at my data I mention that the lowest cutoff in at 2.2 microns with the $$ along side. Edmund has a 2.5 cutoff and it looks like OPCO is able to do this or some better.
I believe that some of the UV water purifiers use AL (enhanced) reflectors.
One of the forum participants has a company that uses high intensity lights might have a better answer.

unclesyd,

Did you buy the enhanced aluminum in a sheet form and then form it to a shape? Or is the coating applied after the reflector is formed?

I'm looking for 2'x2' sheet of .030" thick aluminum the has this dielectric coating applied, any ideas where to buy it?

Also in regards to CoilZak, does anyone know what type of coating it has? I don't think its anything but an anodized aluminum. No point in buying dielectric coated aluminum if I already have it!

Thanks for the help!

I just checked and no one that is still working remembers who we purchased the lights and reflectors from.

In someone's infinite wisdom they have archived completed purchase orders over 7 yrs old and the only searchable index is the company name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back