UW-19(c)(2) and U-2(g)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdanPV

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2019
IL
Hello everyone,

In accordance with ASME VIII-1, UW-19(c)(2), for welded stayed constructions involving dimpled plates welded to plain plates, the Maximum Allowable Working Pressure (MAWP) of the dimpled components is determined following the requirements outlined in UG-101.

Referencing U-2(g), it is stipulated that when design rules are absent, mandatory appendix 46, (using FEA), may be employed.

Upon careful consideration of the Code's language, it appears that U-2(g) is applicable only in scenarios where design rules are nonexistent. However, UW-19(c)(2) does provide specific rules for the design of dimpled plate welded to plain plates, directing engineer to utilize a proof test.

The query at hand is whether it is permissible to substitute FEA for the proof test in the specific context of UW-19(c)(2).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See UG-16(a) for another reference to App. 46. Does that provide you with a path to Appendix 46 without resorting to U-2(g)?

Hi,

I will try to ask it in a different way:
Is it allowed to use U-2(g)(1)(-a) to determine the MAWP of a welded stayed constructions involving dimpled plates welded to plain plates as described in UW-19(c)(2)?

My assumption is that the answer is NO. since U-2(g) can only be use where design rules do not exist.
But, I am trying to find a justification for my assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back