Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V14 drafting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanglou

Automotive
Jun 30, 2005
US
I have a surface that i need to make flat in the drafting stage. Imagine a piece of paper that has a crease in it resulting in a 20 degree angle. In the drafting stage I need to make that piece flat again t show actual size. is this possible, because I can not seem to figure it out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if you have sheetmetal and use it to bend your 3d part then in Drafting you can have a flatten view of your sheetmetal part.

If you have DL1 license, then in GSD you can unbend ruled surfaces, then project the result in a 2d view.

for more advanced surfaces composite design is required.

I've been told DL1 license in R17 can do more than ruled surfaces... did not test that yet.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Without the Sheetmetal License, you will need to do this the hard way.
Assuming one of your surfaces is planar:
In your CATPart, you will need to find the mold line (the intersection line between the two surfaces. You will then need to rotate the edge curves around that mold line onto the plane of the planar surface.

If your surface actually has some thickness (i.e. a sheetmetal part), you will need to find the neutral surface of the part first. Then find the mold line of the neutral surface, and flatten the neutral surface around this. The Neutral Surface for thin aluminum parts (i.e. less than .1 in thick) is usually around 43% from the outer surface. There are other values and formulas that can be used to determine the neutral surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back