Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V17 Structural Frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttaktn

Automotive
Jul 29, 2004
GB
hello,

Does anyone know how this works in detail?!?

I am trying to draw a rollcage, and i can input the 3d points of the intersection, but i'd like to create the complete wireframe first.

Firstly, can i fillet two centrelines like in a normal sketch?? this would let me use the end point of the fillet as a new intersection point. I don't fancy working this out by hand in 3D space!!!

Also, if I have three lines going to one point, can i select which two i want radiused, and the other one to be mitred onto this bent tube?

The way i have found to do this is by drawing two lines, creating the bend in solid, then going back to wireframe. The new wireframe would be the new tube, but it doesn't have the right end treatment, like it ignores whatever is there before it.

Hope this isn't too confusing!!

Nextly, is it possible to do a draft of this rollcage, but just displaying tube centrelines. I keep seeing this option, but it is always blanked out. Is this an Xpress route thing, as i don't have it :(

Sorry for the long post

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried using Sketch as the Path of the Frame.
You'll then able to display the Sketch in Draft.

if I have three lines going to one point, can i select which two i want radiused, and the other one to be mitred onto this bent tube?

1. Click on the Frame command icon, the Frame Options dialog box will appear.
2. Select Apply radius, in the Corner Treatment Options.
3. Click the OK Button.
4. Select the 2 paths which you want them to radius.
5. Click Accept icon from the Ribbon Bar.
6. Click Finish icon from the Ribbon Bar.
7. The Frame Options dialog box will reappear.
8. Repeat the above for the 3rd path with different Corner Treatment.

HTH

Regards
fwc

Thanks for your reply fwc,

I have tried that, but it doesn't give me exactly what i'd like. When i do what you describe, the third tube will not connect to the centre of the arc. What Solid Edge is doing is correct, as the three lines connect at the same node point.

What I'd like to do is get the third tube to connect to the centreline of the arc. The way I'd like to do this is by drawing the radius in the wireframe mode.

Any ideas?

Back to the sketch suggestion, that would get me back to the earlier post about 3d points. Using sketches would not allow me to enter 3d points in space and the lines would not be connected to each other, which would be very troublesome if i needed to move a node.

Thanks

ttaktn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back