Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vaccum Jacket Piping Thermal Performance Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJGuy

Aerospace
Nov 17, 2010
US
As a self educational project, I'm working on a thermal model of a multiple segment vacuum jacketed pipe system we use at work. I'm running into several roadblocks that I need help with. The system starts at ambient conditions before crogenic temperature gas is introduced. I'm modeling performance once it is at stable temperature under flow. I know the ambient vacuum of each line segment, but not the vacuum at stable operating conditions. I have inlet and outlet temperatures, so know the overall performace of the system. When in use, the system is flowing cold helium at roughly LN2 temperatures. For my initial model, I used the vendor spec data on the VJ heat leak, bayonet heat leak, etc and my model predicts significantly better thermal performance that we currently achieve. I suspect this is because the operating vacuum is not as low as the vendor used when he came up with the spec values.

1. Although I don't yet have data on the apparent conductivity vs. vacuum level for the pipe segments used, I do understand the curve has a characteristic shape. Can I make any generizalations on this curve if I can't get this data from the vendor? Any good sources of generalized curves for various line diameters, etc?

2. How do I make an accurate conversion from ambient vacuum conditions to operating temperature vacuum conditions. I know the ideal gas law should be accurate, but I don't know what operating temperature to use. Should it be commodity temperature, average temperature, something else? I've been unable to find any good references.

3. I have vendor data for heat leak at each bayonet joint, but I have been unable to find what heat leak to use for several non-insulated tubing connections into the VJ pipe. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back