Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vacuum chamber seal design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00bcannonball

Aerospace
Feb 27, 2007
US
Hey all,
I need advice on how to go about designing the sealing parts of a device that will consist of two chamber halves closing together and about a spout to seal vacuum tight. I am thinking something like a rubber gasket-like piece on each chamber half, but I'm sort of lost on how to put something like that together. Are there any resources you can point me to as to what materials and other general guidelines would help me here? Attached is a concept picture (sealing area in black).
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your sketch does not show how you will be axially clamping the gasket so I assume there will be studs to clamp the gasket!
Gasket material is commonly used in split case pumps and depending on the product to seal determines the gasket material. It seems that you will get away with Rubber gasket but this may extrude as you clamp it if it is too thick. Speak with gasket manufacturers to make recommendations and show them how you intend to clamp the two halves together.

trust this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back