Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vacuum design of a open end steam piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat211743

Materials
Aug 14, 2012
CA
Hello Friends, Does it make sense to design a blowdown steam piping that is open to atmosphere for full vacuum? it is in SAGD operation where a 24", ANSI 150 class piping is releasing steam and water at 100 psi and 400F during steam gen blow down events to the pond. Rest of the time it is sitting idle open to atmosphere. This line is being designed for full vacuum conditions. As it is open to atmosphere i am not able to make sense of FV requirement. Am I missing anything here?? Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is hard to say without seeing the actual layout of the system. Generally, full vacuum design in steam systems ensures that no damage will occur during steam-out conditions, i.e. when steam inside the piping or vessels starts to condense due to atmospheric conditions, once when the source of steam is closed. During ambient cooldown, steam follows its pressure-temperature chart and as the temperature is reduced, the pressure inside the system gets reduced as well. These systems almost always encounter a vacuum, unless the inflow of air from the vent is sufficient to maintain the pressure, or other means are used (i.e. N2 purge following steam blowdown etc.) to prevent vacuum. Design for full vacuum is usually prescribed of the anticipated pressure falls below certain value (Norsok: 0.35 bara).

The lines subject of steam out conditions typically require stress analysis (e.g. Norsok standard specifies stress analysis for all lines with NPS 3" and higher, if they will be exposed to steam out conditions during lifetime).

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

If the outlet of the pipe were to be below the lake's water level, when the lake is high, could a vacuum be developed as the system cools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back