Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vacuum Distillation Tower Condenser - Installation / Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermont

Petroleum
Jan 12, 2011
BR
Hi all

I am currently working on the project of a vacuum distillation unit and I’m facing some trouble with the vacuum system condenser of the vacuum tower. There will be a lot of fouling and accentuated corrosion.

Due to the necessity of little pressure drop on the system, the condensers (3 in total) will have to be located at much higher position than usual (100 ft instead of the usual 10-30 ft)

I am concerned mainly with three aspects:
- Maintenance;
- Installation of the ring test;
- Removal of the tube bundle;

The details are as follow:
- Condensers located at 31,5 m elevation (aprox. 100 ft)
- Condensers characteristics (total of 3 condensers):
- Area: 1 402,54 m² of exchange area (aprox. 15 000 sqft);
- Type : ASME Code Section VIII, Division 1;
- AXS type, dimensions: 1 829 mm x 6 096 mm ( 72“ x 240“), tube bundle 3/4“ BWG 14, ASTM A179
- Number of tubes: 3960 tubes per shell, pass = 23,8 mm (0.937”),
- Estimated weight of each tube bundle = 23.5 ton

Have any of you seen a similar situation: big dimension and weight AXS condenser installed at an altitude of 100 ft above ground level?

What is the frequency of repairs / maintenance / inspection activities in similar condensers?

How are maintenance activities handled (what kind of prevention is needed to protect the equipment from damage during maintenance)?

Are there any special tools / equipments used for maintenance in this kind of situation?

How is the 1st test made (ring test)?

How can the ring test (72” and 300 kg) be installed on the condenser at such height (100 ft)?

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not a good choice of forum- you want either Boiler and Pressure Vessel engineering or Mechanical engineering other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back