Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Vacuum insulated cryogenic vessel internal supports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BZ29

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2010
SA
Hi.
I need to design a 4m[sup]3[/sup] transport vacuum cryogenic tank for liquid oxygen.

Can someone please guide about the material and type of supports that are typically used in annular space, so that weight and acceleration effects are accounted as well as conduction is also minimized. Any sketch, model or drawing would be really helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Internal CRYO tank support design is a specialized area that only the vendors of Cryogenic tanks and vessels have experience with.

Are you trying to get into a new area of business ?

Do you, or anyone else in your organization have experience with cryogenic vessels ?

Why can't you simply purchase a transport tank road certified and designed for liquid oxygen ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

First of all, you need to understand what design codes are applicable to your case DOT, ASME etc.

If you have no experience with cryo tanks, I wouldn't recommend starting without fully understanding existing designs. It would be very easy not to plumb particular lines such as the diptube or economizer line correctly. The support system is a science in itself.

Oxygen service in particular requires particular attention to design, fabrication and cleaning practices that must be adhered to for safety reasons.

Seems easiest to buy an existing product to fit your needs. This is the part of the map that says here lies dragons.

----------------------------------
Not making a decision is a decision in itself

Thank you so much for your insights.
Yes, our organization is trying to enter into cryogenics field, but we do not have its experience. However we have an extensive experience of other process equipment design like pressure vessel, heat exchangers etc

Buy as many examples from other makers as possible and analyze them to see how they are made to understand why they are made that way.

You may be able to buy used or scrapped units that are still useful to cut to pieces and see this rather than buying new units.

Reverse engineering ? good luck ! Dual wall cryogenic tank requires extensive experience and knowhow. Need to know why looping this way, not that way in the annular space, Need to know what insulation material, what optimal density, and how to install it so it won't settle in the annular space. Need to know how to deal with banana effect of the inner tank and how to let it roll during thermal contraction/expansion. Also need to know how to deal with vapor pocket and design internal spraying system. Lot's of issues. I purchased from both Australia and US suppliers so I know the design and the considerations won't be easy. They were helping us to solve process issues too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back