Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vaiable thermal conductivity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobfromoh

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2002
US
Thermal conductivity varies with temperature. In steady state HT, a single TC value can be entered for a given temperature. I seem to remember an input method in ALGOR to enter thermal conductivity values over a temperature range. I haven't done HT analysis for awhile and now I can't figure out how to do this, or if it's even possible.
Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That does not sound right. Steady State HT can have Thermal-conductivity that is dependent on the temperature. You may have to use Nonlinear Heat-transfer but it is still steady-state.

I didn't say "non-linear"...I said transient. Steady State HT is generally used to determine termperature gradients through materials thicknesses, heat dissipation through convection, heat paths through conduction, a variety of things, but it is done with applied temperatures and linear materials. This information is useful for times when the operating parameters are known or you are analyzing for some specific point in time. Steady State doesn't have a "time" component to input unless I'm missing something.

Transient HT is used for, perhaps, equipment start-up where heat inputs vary with time. Nothing is necessarily "non-linear", but you have a time-dependent component to the analysis. The event you are analyzing occurs over a period of time and as things "heat up", you want to change the thermal conductivity. This is generally done with a piecewise linear curve much like you input a varying modulus for structures.

Unless I'm missing something, the difference is much like performing a linear analysis vs. a dynamic analysis. Both are still linear, but only the dynamic analysis has a time-dependent component.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back