Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validation for numerical modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batzo

Civil/Environmental
Apr 21, 2020
IL
Hi, Before my study , I verified experiment of concrete slab subjected to blast with an article.
I am using CDP and Concrete behavior is dependent on strain rate.

In my study case I have different blast load and different concrete strength.
How do I know that my numerical model is correct? I have nothing to compare to and I have no article to calibrate to...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would run a simulation with data corresponding to experiment. If you get good results (response similar to that of the test sample) then there’s a great chance that your actual model is also correct. All this assuming that the experiment was similar to your main numerical model and there were only a few differences like load magnitude and material’s strength.

But there is a difference with blast range (if the explosion is in 5m or 20m)
So how do I know how to calibrate my model?

It seems that there’s no other way to validate these results, apart from making sure that they look reasonable. In many cases we don’t have experimental data for comparison and we can only do some standard checks to avoid common errors.

In this case, you may be better off leveraging statistics on top of FEA. There are various ways to do it. Here's one: Use the high fidelity model (FEA, in this case) to come up with a meta-model (transfer function) and run statistical simulations off of that meta-model assuming distributions of various inputs. This will give you a probabilistic output.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back