Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validation of a New CFD code: Impulsively started square cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

newflow

Aerospace
Jul 29, 2015
DE
Dear community,
I am new and I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this question but I'll try anyway hoping that somebody can collaborate.

I am working on the development of a new CFD solver based on Vortex Particle Method. For the validation of the code itself I need some benchmarks. One of the ones I chose is the impulsively started flow around a square cylinder. In literature I found really a few references to compare with so I would like to know if some of you already worked with this case or if you have some references to suggest.

The reynolds number to compare with does not matter a lot, but It would be nice to have a drag coefficient time history to compare with.

Best regards to everyone,

Dario

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you validating or verifying your code? Those terms have similar, but very distinct meanings. I recommend checking out Oberkampf's CFD V&V book and papers.

Thank you very much for this answer, actually I did not consider this difference before.
In my case, I am verifying, because I know that I am building it with the right features, but I need now to verify that it does that in an efficient way. (I am testing the quality of a new method).

I had a look at the reference you propose but I haven't been able to see a time history force coefficients for the impulsive start of a cylinder. Would you have something more precise to suggest?

Thanks a lot.

I'm not aware of any specific results of that nature. You might try searching AIAA papers and journal articles for that. The reason I mentioned that reference is that it will come in handy as you go through this process in general. If you cannot find the specific case you're interested in, search for similar cases that might stress your code that have more available results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back