Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Value of Toastmasters CC (Competent Communicator Certificate) for Hiring managers/Owners?? 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSMEclassof2012

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2015
US
Dear Engineers,

I am a regular member of toastmasters in my area(California). I am about to finish my 10 speeches and receive a CC Certificate. I am just curious how much it values when looking for mechanical engineering jobs? Would you consider to hire an Engineer if he has this certificate? Are people familiar with this award?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not familiar with the award and wouldn't personally value the certificate very much. Although, I would value the skills you may have learned through Toast Massters. But that's more of "proof is in the pudding" than a piece of paper. Not trying to downplay your effort, I think it's a worthy thing to work on and commend you for participating. Comfortablity, in public is a skill that is worth honing for any engineer (IMO).

Put it on the bottom of your resume.
It might be just the thing some hiring manager is looking for. ... or, not.
You never know what will make the manager pick up the phone.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Resume, yes, but that's it. The only people I've seen trotting out certificates were those that didn't have a degree, and the certificates were a blunt attempt to demonstrate their bonafides, but it rarely does that in reality. One such person had a dozen or more certificates and awards, but couldn't figure out what a 15% increase in their last salary amounted to.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
homework forum: //faq731-376 forum1529

If a person cannot demonstrate the skill the certificate applies to, the certificate may as well not even be listed. a 5-10 minute interview can tell me if someone is comfortable speaking in front of others and/or on subjects they're familiar with, I don't need a certificate to tell me that. I can also handle someone who is obviously not comfortable with public speaking... but if you have a certificate that says you are, that's a serious mark against you!

Remember, you're being hired for your technical skill first and public speaking skills second (or fifth)... throw it on your resume if you're proud of it, but I wouldn't waste a bit of breathe mentioning it anywhere else unless it is specifically asked about.

Dan - Owner
URL]

Especially to an HR resume screener, the certificate will get your resume put into the 'potential interview' pile for review by the engineering manager.

As the engineering manager I would be glad to see it on your resume as it shows you are addressing the issue that engineers are notorious introverts that don't communicate well

If you interview as well as the next guy, the certificate might be the item that tips a decision in your favour

At least some online applications have a section for just this kind of certification - so for sure put it on there.

Of course, to actually get hired at those places you may need to get an actual contact but that's another matter.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Being a person who hires engineers and member of Toastmasters myself, I would be impressed by this. Toastmasters is so much more than just giving speeches. It is also about learning to run meetings, speaking informally, giving constructive feedback and most of all listening.

I think a video copy of the presentation would hold a lot more weight but HR and recruiters just use buzz words to identify candidates. I have gotten too many calls from recruiters that never bothered to even read my resume. If it gets you by HR or the recruiter, I would hope that the person reviewing your resume would in the least see that talking in front of people doesn't kill you.

I find certificates in general a little bit silly. I don't know how many plaques of internal company one day trainings I have seen posted in cubes, EIT certificates long after someone has gotten their PE posted, and PMP certificates. I did find the story funny that was posted here about a receptionist being told to put away her PMP certificate due to it embarrassing some in management that had it. I also find it silly when people put stuff like BS, MS, or Ph.D behind their names. Maybe, that is just me. I couldn't with any certainty tell you where my BS, MS, or PE certificates are stored.

If all you want is a doodad for your resume, then it is of limited value If you actually learned to carry yourself gracefully and professionally and learned to communicate clearly, then it is invaluable.

Thanks for all your input. The reason I asked this is because the HR managers(non-engineers) usually ask for certificates of achievement in response to online job applications. I agree that learning should be the main goal and I have improved a lot after joining toastmasters. For example, after performing the role of "ah-um counter" several times during these meetings, I have reduced the number of "ah" and "umm" in my speeches and table topic responses. Not criticizing others and encouraging them is another habit that I have developed by going to these meetings.

Completed CC and AT.

Very briefly mentioned in my other interests in my résumé.

But your proficiency ought to be demonstrated in your interviewers, by the confidence and clarity with which you conduct yourself.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Depends on the job. If you are applying for the job where they stick you in a corner with a computer - then it might not matter. If you are looking for a job that requires client interaction, then it would be a plus, especially to those familiar with toastmasters.

@Terratek, I beg to differ. What if Milton had been able to communicate clearly? Obviously, not a good thing for the movie plot, but maybe he wouldn't have ended up in the basement.😉

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Certificates (in general) hold an average of no value for me (some hold little, some hold negative). For the most part, they only convey completion and not success, and so tell me nothing (or negative points for being proud of something that wasn't/shouldn't have been a challenge to complete). With toastmasters for example, if you could have delivered 10 speeches but done a terrible job on them all and still got the certificate you have to ask yourself if the certificate itself really means anything (you could have been great too, but the certificate doesn't tell me that). If a certificate does happen to be awarded with a quality/competency component, then it comes down to how much personal trust I place in the approving authority, which is likely a minimum unless I have had an amazing experience with it personally.

If you think it will be the difference between an interview or not you can throw it on the end if you have room, but I wouldn't expect it to add any value.

No, I think there are very few that give many speeches at Toastmasters that aren't significantly better afterwards. The more I think about it, the more I would be impressed due talking in front of a crowd is hard. Everyone likes to think they are good at this but few are and just "showing up" to some self improvement thing is more than 80-90% of the population. I went through a presentation workshop and everyone including the worst of the worst improved significantly in two days. Not everyone was an all-star but I think with enough practice almost anyone could be competent or better.

Maybe I am biased as a former member/officer of a Toastmasters group, but I think that this could be used in an interview as a perfect answer for the "what is your greatest weakness?" scenario. You recognized that you weren't comfortable with public speaking, and went through the Toastmasters program to practice and hone your skills. I don't think the certification itself is worth anything, but what you probably learned through it is. I would list it on your resume for those that are familiar with what it entails, and maybe use it in an interview as an example of self-improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back