Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

valve control

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmuri

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2008
US
Hi, all,

I am working on a project to use small valves to control motion of robots. Because I am quite new to hydraulic systems, I would like to have common suggestions on how to choose control valve.

By the way, will vendor provide models for their control valves? or what I could expect is some response curves?

Thank you in advance.

Best.

Ming

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Imuri:

Selecting 'small valves' will always depend on size, fluid, kind of control and type of movement, requirement for movement (force, spee, smooth or staccato), number and timing of movements and required standtime. Note: surrounding conditions important: hot, cold, wet, ex, submerged etc.

Commercially it will depend on number bought over time, and if you can use something already on the market or have to adapt or make new products.

I would suggest that you first try to describe verbally some of the things your valve (and control system) should be able to do, and withstand, and your ideas on weight and size limitation.

It could be a good idea to ask suppliers to hydraulic equipment producers if oil is your fluid, also suppliers to vehicle industry (buses, lorries, cars, retarders etc) if system is pneumatic. Both areas has also suppliers of proportional solenoid valves. Suppliers to competitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back