Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Valve design question re: Pressure on bonnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

packdad

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2001
US
Let's say you have a valve with a bonnet that bolts to the body. It's a gasketed connection with the gasket located within the bolt circle. When the pressure force on the bonnet is considered during valve design, do you assume design pressure only within the diameter of the gasket, or do you take it all the way out to the bolt circle (or to the edge of the flange)?

I would think, since gaskets are prone to leak and are not really pressure boundary components, that you'd have to assume design pressure beyond the gasket for design purposes, but I'd like to hear if this is, in fact, true.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Packdad,
There are many different bonnet joint designs and more gasket designs and materials than you can imagine. Without knowing the specifics it is had to give you an answer.

The most complete bonnet-joint analysis technique may be found in the ASME, Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code, Section III, Components. This technique was established for nuclear components and may be "over-kill" for your needs. Most all gasket analysis programs extend the hydraulic pressure loading to the middle of the gasket face.

The joint analysis is performed for normal operating pressure and the hydrostatic test pressure required at assembly.

My suggestion is to contact your gasket manufacturer and they will provide you with the correct technique for analyzing the bonnet joint.
Hope this helps,
ABScott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back