Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

valve ESD identification 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

alhnaity

Petroleum
Jan 29, 2015
AE
some end users categorize the valve to groups, one of groups ESD valve.. i need to know what is the specs and standard for this product group? for my experience approval for actuators and valves separately are not considered, the approval required for ESD package but valve maker's name only will be on the AVL.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An ESD (Emergency Shut-Down) Valve is not a valve type it is a valve function. Any Valve Type can 'Function' as an ESD.

Normally a valve is identified on the P&ID during the system development and designated ESD on the finished P&ID. It will also be discussed during the HAZOP Review and verified as a true ESD.
The later action will be to paint the whole valve (or the operating Handwheel or lever) bright red and attach a specifically worded sign. Later Operator training will include all ESD valves.

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

ESD Valve may need SIL 2 or SIL 3 as per SIL Review,
Safety-Instrumented Functions(SIF) analysis and Safety Integrity Level (SIL) classifications for the Emergency Shut-Down Valves will be performed for the valve assembly……
As I know, Metso can supply SIL 3 ESDV according to the Catalogue.

The grade and quality and operational devices releasing an ESD valve, and the valve itself, are to be selected regarding both actual rules, regulations and certificates. But the valve/actuator system must also be of a degree high enough to prevent malfunction, and must be selected also on the basis of consequences of malfunction. This involves also maintenance and inspection routines, redundance and test/certificates etc.

If you are to select an ESD based on the factory name of the valve only, someone has not given you the necessary tools to confirm that the selected valve system will work and have a quality as planned.

I have now and then seen very sloppy engineering :'lets do this as we have done before' without checking actual parameters, and also if there are newer, better and safer systems available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back