Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Valve Fatigue Cycling Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkXX

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2007
US
Hello,

I am trying to devise a system in which I can cycle a small valve using a liquid (probably water) at a high frequency (20-50Hz). The problem is that I would like a closed system and be able to supply a back pressure to the closed valve up to 35 psi while allowing the fluid to circulate to the upstream side of the valve which will be temporarly at a lower pressure. The system will be displacement driven by use of a piston.

Also, does anyone have any idea or links to how valve companies fatigue test their valves? That might help.

Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fatigue is not related to the speed of the loading ( unless you are talking about fluid-eleastic instability), so it is probably not essential to use the limits of 20-50Hz; fatigue is primarily governed by the number of cycles and the impose strain per cycle.

A small valve can usually be operated with a solenoid, should be simple to setup.strobe light with light sensor to single board computer that reverses solenoid action at 0 and 90 degrees, and ccounts number of cycles. Speed is not relevant, but stress on the actuator may be.

This has been cross-posted to the Valve Engineering forum in thread408-203919. Please post any responses there.

Thanks

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back