Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Valve FEA

Status
Not open for further replies.

al1979

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2012
IN
I have to run the valve FEA with pipe flange loads i.e. axial loads and moment loads at end flanges obtained by Piping software.
I don't know how to constraint the valve geometry (displacement limits) and apply these piping loads in software. I will be using ANSYS of FEA.
Any comments?
Thanks !!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not quite sure I understand your questions correct.

Much is depending on size of loads and forces. Norms from piping classes will normally describe and limit the forces for pipeflanges. Flanges for valves will either be limited by the same regulations (acccording to class) or regulations directly for the valves. Valve factories normally limit forces allowable on the valves flanges: valves must be supported to take the valve-weight from stressing the valve flanges (align the valves properly and not stress internal operation). Pipes must be clamped and supported near valves not to give excessive pulling, pushing, torque and weight on the valve flanges.

Not everything can be solved in pracise by computer calculations.

Thans gerhardl
I like your comment "Not everything can be solved in practise by computer calculations".
Hope my customer understand this.
Cheers !!!

I did a similar calculation for a customer on a bolted body valve. I accounted for the additional axial and moment loads imposed on the body/closure studs through hand calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back