Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Valve seat hardfacing PQR's (Sec IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrtei

Materials
Jun 20, 2012
US
Maybe someone can help me with this one. It is regarding valve hard seat facing as it pertains to procedure qualification to Section IX.

The valves in question are 1-1/4 Cr (P4) and 2-1/4 Cr (P5A).
The valves get hard faced with ER410. That part is straightforward when it comes to the procedure quals, we'll do them per Table QW-453.
Our minimum overlay thickness will be the distance between the finished surface and the weld interface with the base metal.

Sometimes however there is a need to build back up with ER80S-B2 and ER90S-B3 respectively, prior to the application of the ER410.
Do I need to qualify this scenario per Table QW-453 as well? If so would my minimum ER410 overlay thickness qualified be from the finished surface to the weld interface with the Cr filler?

Do I even need to run a hard facing overlay with the Cr filler followed by the SS filler? Or should I run groove weld PQR's with the Cr fillers and the Cr base metals to qualify for weld buildup, and then just run the hard facing overlay quals with the SS filler on the Cr base metal as originally described?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, of course. Whenever you are using ER80S-B2 and ER90S-B3, you have to modify the WPS accordingly and hence require separate PQRs.

Both options regarding the PQRs are fine, select the one that is easier for you.

DHURJATI SEN

For build up with ER80S-B2 or ER90S-B3 a separate PQR according to QW-202.3(b) is required. This qualification is not part of the hard facing qualification.

Regards - Juergen

doing weld build up requires groove weld WPS and hence it needs to be qualified by groove weld specimen not the hard facing.

You are applying the hard-facing on top of build up material which requires a separate qualification of hard-facing as the base material here it is treated as unlisted material due to the build up. The hard-facing test coupon shall be the true representation of production.

The hard-facing PQR coupon shall be first build up using the required filler wire /electrode using the groove weld PQR and then deposit the hard-facing material to the require thickness. perform the required testing as per ASME sec IX for hard-facing. that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back