Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Valve selection for BF3 service? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

weirweb

Chemical
Mar 31, 2003
US
Any recommendations of valve manufacturers for BF3 service would be helpful. I am familiar with Superior and Ewal.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any valve suitable for HF service will work. Pacific makes them, as does Crane. There are others, I'm sure. Ask if the valves in question conform to either the UOP or Phillips HF specs.

Good Luck!

Tom

I used to work with BF3. What a nasty chemical! Be careful with it. Allied Signal was my supplier back then. (Honeywell now??). They recommended the following:

On/Off valves: Needle or Globe Type. Aluminum Silicon bronze or Stainless Steel.

Throttling Valve: Globe valves with Hastelloy C-276 or Alloy 400.

Pressure Regulators: Hastelloy C-276, Alloy 400, Kel-F or PFTE. Orifice should be a minimum 3/16".

Piping: 316L SS Schedule 80.

Gaskets: Metal Reinforced PTFE (pressure < 300 psig) Nickel Graphite spiral wound (pressure > 300 psig

Valves typically used in anhy HF service include PTFE lined plug valves (Durco, nay Floserve or Xomox) and/or PTFE/PFA lined ball valves (Atomac or Tufline). Further, Alloy 20 or Hast C 276 used (plug valves) with success. Permiation will be a long term problem with any of the lined or sleeved valves. A company called Beltech makes an alloy globe valve with stellite seats that has also been used in hot HF service with success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back