Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Valve Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustinP770

Mechanical
May 26, 2015
US
Hello all,

I'm in the very early stages of planning a project that involves moving a low temperature fluid (-75F) from one of four large reservoirs to one smaller reservoir on an as needed basis. One of the requirements of my project is that I can swap between multiple pumps and multiple source reservoirs remotely, and the pipes being used are either 4" or 6" diameter. I'm hoping for a discussion on ideal control valve types to switch between reservoirs and what common methods are used for control. I appreciate any advice you can provide!

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DustinP770,

1. Select valves first. Use valves recommended and with references for long-time service for the fluid,temperature and flow you need.
2. Determine how long the closing,opening and response time for each valve can be, the longer the better for freer selection of actuators.
3. Listen in a moment to the never ending war between pneumatic actuator enthusiasts and electric actuator fanatics, to determine type of actuators. Consider also surroundings: climatic, indoors, outdoors, protection and other actuator systems (if any existing) in the factory. For a complete new factory I would have selected a top-grade electrical actuator with a system for online, bus-system communication of all data. Select multi-turn actuators and gearing (or possibility to mount in and extra 1:2 gearing if torque is higher than expected). Downsize actuators where possible by using longer closing/opening time and higher gearing ratio.
4. Select one source to supply valves with actuators ready mounted, adjusted and tested, with responsibility also for getting the total control system to work. Important that supplier has experience with the selected type of actuators and adjustment and mounting on valves!
5. See to that all relevant detailed technical information of the selected control system is presented and known for all project engineers already at pre-planning stage. Late decisions on control systems will often lead to compromises or costly alterations.

The rest is technical details best answered by local suppliers.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back