Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Valves for FLNG / FPSO 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadymp

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2003
JP
I am working on FLNG project, i will be very thankful if anybody who has knowledge on FLNG / FPSO projects at EPC or at Valve manufacturer, tell me if any special valves are available in market for space saving.

Conventional Double Block & Bleed arrangement takes lot of space. Is their any valves available for positive isolation to replace this arrangement. Application will be CRYOGENIC (-196 deg.cel.)

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sometimes it helps to spell out accronyms ...

You might also try doing a search for previous threads on this subject by clicking on the grey search button above.

Finally a bit more information is always welcome. When you say "save space," how much space are you trying to save? What size opening do you need the valve to fit?

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Dear Patricia Lougheed,
I asked very generalised manner, Its not case specific.
I am thinking of some special valve which can replace 2 GTV, Spool Piece, Drain valve.

Depending on the size involved, there are double-ball (in a single body) valves available. Additionally, you can use compact valves with hub ends, which save both length and weight, and pipe them up in a traditional valve-drain-valve configuration.

If you are looking to replace the traditional DBB piping arrangement, I'd look at the double-ball valve.

For larger pipe diameters ( DN300 and above )
you may consider triple offset butterfly valves in a DDB arrangement ( ie two discs in one casting ) Zwick Valves of Germany have a lot of shipbuilding and cryogenic supply experience.

cadymp,
for more information about the Valve type mentioned by jeffvalve and a wider choice of Manufacturers, maybe you'll want to take a look at thread408-126483 and thread408-135872 within this Forum.

Hope this helps, 'NGL

I have seen triple offset valves used for this very service. positive shutoff at -196°C and this coupled with weight/space savings can make ideal. As I saw no real mention of replacing actual valves on existing set-up, I guessed you are changing it at design stage.
Zwick are good, so are Vanessa, Orton, Velan....(just the ones that come to mind instantly) take your pick.
Ciao,

Adams Armaturen in Herne Germany has the largest Cryogenic Test Center in the world as far as we understood. I have never seen but they have many references in Qatar like countries for LNG.
I guess you should check them.

Beside searching for a smaller valve, it might be worth looking to the valve assemby including mounting kit actuator, limit switch etc. The standard actuators like a standard Scotch Yoke could e.g. be replaced by a (fail safe)SITE Compact Actuator. This way you could save up to 70%!
So, my advice is to reduce the dimensions of the complete system instead of only the valve; this is if the situation allows you, of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back