Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Valves for Plastic Irrigation Pipe (P.I.P.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesley_pipes

Civil/Environmental
Jul 28, 2020
US
Hello all,

I am specifying 15-inch plastic irrigation pipe (P.I.P.) for an agricultural irrigation project. Contractor is telling me that 15-inch butterfly valves don't exist(according to his vendors). I understand 15-inch is a bit of an odd size, but I find it surprising that a major PVC pipe manufacturer sells a 15-inch pipe, but the industry has no valves for that size. We may just have to taper down to a 14-inch, which is fine, but annoying.

Has anybody come across this before?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did not see 15 in. B.V... The sizes are only even numbers..( Sizes 6” 8” 10” 12” 14” 16” 18” 20” 24” 30” 36”....)

One of the manufacturer's data

Tim was so learned that he could name a
horse in nine languages: so ignorant that he bought a cow to ride on.
(BENJAMIN FRANKLIN )

it is common to reduce the pipe to install a smaller valve (the head losses are normally minor, but need to be accommodated). I imagine the pipe manufacturer has a reducer to the size you can find alternatively it is a special reducer or less preferable an adaptor plate. I have not done many irrigation projects, but the little involvement i have done, the operators like to use the butterfly valves to throttle/control flow through the system

Agree, downsize the valves to 14-Inch butterfly valves. Least expensive option. Increase in headloss across the valves will be inconsequential.

This is not what you are looking for, but…

I found low-head 15" slide gates with 15" SDR 15 stubs:
I didn't find any 15" butterfly valves.

I did a search for "fitting 15" pip to 14" c900" and got lots of hits, although I didn't dig into them. So, the above suggestion to use a 14" BV on 15" PIP can work.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back