Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vanadate laser safety 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtuner

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2003
US
I've recently been tasked with programming and setting up a lasermarking system in our plant, and am concerned about the safety issues. I'm purchasing ANSI Z136, but until I get it, I had some questions that someone might be able to help me with.

The laser is a Nd:YVO4 ,1064 nm wavelength, 30kW

The manual clearly states that this laser, WHEN SIDE COVERS ARE IN PLACE, is class 1.

It also states that it is a class 4 laser when the side
covers are off, (or, if the motorized door were to fail to shut, and the machine accidentally turned the laser on with the door open).

What is required for the markings of the entry door to the room? If everything's working right, it's class 1, right?

It also has a class 2 &quot;pilot laser&quot; (P<1mW; 635 nm)to allow the user to line up workpieces, (with the door open). Is this normal in industry?
Is reflection of scattered light emitted by the class 2 pilot laser OK for an operator?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You ask a lot of questions that require a detailed laser hazard analysis including determination of the Nominal Hazard zones.

I too was in the same position you were a year ago and found you could never get a straight answer. There is a gray area when you try covering up a class 4 into a class 1.

I highly suggest you take Laser safety officer training, while not required for class 1 it is for class 4.
You will get the ANSI book and real answers to your questions by industries leaders in laser safety. Also you will have a certified LSO in house.

Treating your laser as a class 4 and following all recommended procedures for this will cost a little more but is worth the peace of mind. The price of safety pays for its self from reduced injuries, regulation fines and laws suites.
Brian

I agree that you should have laser safety training as soon as possible. You will need to draw up procedures for alignment and for maintenance and servicing, so there is not just normal operation to consider.
Also - think about ventilation! The marking process will vaporise materials which can be toxic and/or carcinogenic in the vapour phase. Accumulated dusts are also potentiaslly a fire hazard.

ok you guys, the answer is that the yittrium vanadate laser if using a diode laser to pump or exite it. this is called solid state diode pumping. The pump lasers will alway be more powerful as the yvo has a quantum efficiency of about 50%, much less in the real worl....so when it is opem, you are also exposed the the pump lasers, when closed the pump radiation is filtered at the output window and hence the power is less.

By the way, the pump wavelength is different, usuall around .8 to .9 microns

A few comments-
The YAG output will be class I unless fully enclosed- it is not just the pump lasers that are dangerous!
Scatter from Class II should not be a problem, but specular reflection might? (meaning 'from a shiny surface' like a mirror...)
What does the manufacturer provide? Surely they have sales and technical support?
If your people will be servicing the laser - side covers off, etc., then you will need procedures to cover those situations. Do you have trained laser service techs there? If not, you'll need to arrange proper training. (at least some) of that training should probably come from the manufacturer/vendor.
regards
Jay

Jay Maechtlen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back