Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vapor-liquid separator

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlyB

Mechanical
May 27, 2009
CA
I have been asked to size a vertical knockout for a groundwater extraction system. Typically, we have just gone with sizes that we know work from experience, but we are at an unusually high flow rate (2000 scfm) in this application.

We typically do not use a mesh pad at all, but all of the literature I can find includes them.

The system runs at 10 in Hg vacuum, and there will be variable fractions of liquid and vapor. We would typically use a tangential inlet and have the vapor outlet on the top of the vessel.

Any thoughts on how to go about this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We manufacture knock out tanks ( For 2000scfm@10" Hg, the vessel would be based on your needs.

Assuming the tank is outdoors:
If it is simple SVE with not much water estimated, then I would go with a 42"D x 96"H vessel.
If this is dual phase, then it changes things. Considerations have to be made for internal baffling.

A mesh demistor is an option we typically offer to protect the downstream blowers.
Please feel free to email with additional questions (mel.phillips@prm-net.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back