Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vapour Pressure of Diesel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallaz

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2003
AU
Can anyone help me to find the vapour pressure of diesel fuel? I need it for NPSHA calculations. Does anyone know a good site/resource for this kind of data?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What temp and grade fuel?
Grade might be 1, 2, Arctic.

You can find a lot of data on fuels in the first section of the Military Handbook 1022A.

Do a web search for MIL-HDBK-1022A and download the handbook.

If you can't find it, give the grade and temp and someone will be able to help.

You don't give what temperature but I'll assume it's close to ambient, say 100F to be conservative. Here are two approaches.

Diesel comes off the sidedraw of a crude column with about 400F initial boiling point. If you correct that to 100F (Nelson has a chart in their book), you'll get under 0.1 psia.

Another estimate is off the flash point. Diesel has a flash point around 150F. For most heavier HC, they have an LEL (which is what the flash point corresponds to) of about 1 to 1.5 mol%. That works out to just under 0.2 psia at the flash temperature. Correct it back to 100F and you have again less than 0.1 psia.

In effect, unless you diesel is pretty hot, vapor pressure isn't a concern for NPSHA calcs.

TD2K's VP estimate via flash point is -to my grasping- an excellent approach. There are, however, Diesel specs that alllow for lower flash points.

I can't take credit for the flash point method, someone else on the site posted it quite a while ago, I was quite impressed by the approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back