Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable Flow Pump system with VFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okpower

Electrical
Feb 24, 2006
VE
Hi all:

I am involved as electrical engineer in the designing of pump system for loading refrigerated products (PROPANE, BUTANE) to ships. This system will have a wide range of flow quantity since will be many different ships with many different capacities and flow rate limits. I am proposing a system of three pumps, 900HP each (2 operating and 1 spare). Just 1 pump will be drived by a VFD.

What should I consider to make a good design?
Should I specify the motor and the VFD in 460 V or in 4.16KV?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks itsmoked:
Just to clarify, I am thinking in just 1 VFD..(1 pump will be driven by just 1 VFD)900 HP, 675KW.

The second one will be operated directly to line, and the third one will be just in spare.

A big LV VFD will be much cheaper than a small MV one. If this was not a VFD application I would say go with the MV solution. If you have other MV motors and the staff to look after them I would think the economics will favour the two fixed speed pumps being MV and the variable speed pump being LV.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

This is a new project, for a new plant. And actually, it is difficult propose a 460 V motor for that power, because, the motor shal be capable to start with direct voltage.I have read about some "new" arrangement to control flow with several breakers, a small control logic and just 1 VFD to control up to 3 of 4 motors.
I am not with the mechanical considerations and the isolating transformer that should be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back