Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

variable lengths 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

schick

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2001
US
This may be a very simple thing, but I'm just getting started with ProE 2001....

Is it possible to have a part, for example a piece of pipe, with different lengths, under one part file?

I understand how to use the Family Tab function. I was more interested in being able to insert a basic cross section, type in the variable dimension, and insert it into an assembly. Where if I require different lengths, I can just add another component, instead of opening the part and adding a new instance every time.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Eric

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

I believe you need to use pro-program.

On your part change the length dimension cosmetic symbol to LENGTH or something else you wish to call it.

Select Program.

In between INPUT and END INPUT enter LENGTH number.

WHen you regenerate it will ask for the length value.

In the assembly, in between INPUT and END INPUT enter ASSY_LENGTH number

after the relations you will need to enter

EXECUTE partname.prt
LENGTH=ASSY_LENGTH
END EXECUTE

WHen you regenerate you will be asked for the length, when you enter a new value the part will be the length you ask for.

Hope this helps.

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

If you don't know how to use pro-program or don't have it, Try using the "Family Tables". I have seen family tables with instances in excess of 200. Hope this helps. Texaspete

Oh man... do you need to switch up to Wildfire... There is a new function in there that allows for multiple lengths of a part... Springs are good examples... but I could see it's use for other things, like cylinders...

Wildfire allows you to set a dimension to different lengths of a single part all inside the same assembly... So a spring could be compressed and stretched inside the same assembly, using the same file... therefore the BOM would show a quantity of 2... and no family table either (which would have two items with quanties of 1)...

I'm too sore to type more right now.. butI'm sure others can fill in the info I missed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back