Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable Speed Fire Pumps - This is to make sure I understand the concept correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinklerDesigner2

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2006
US
In 45 years I've never used one but if I understand what they are correctly then this could be my first time.

Storage building exceeds 500,000 sq ft so it isn't a small project.

ESFR system using K16.8 heads discharging at 52 psi so the total amount of water I need, with hose streams, is 1,710 gpm.

City water supply isn't the greatest with 80 psi static, 34 psi residual flowing 2,100 gpm. In this jurisdiction RPZ backflow is required and I must maintain 20 psi residual with the pump flowing 150% at the fire pump suction or downstream the backflow. Using the Ames Maxim Series M500 it appears I will have 7 psi loss through the backflow and if we add to that the loss through the suction line I will end up with around 25 psi at 1,875 gpm at the pump suction flange.

I can do this with a standard 1,250 gpm @ 80 psi fire pump which, and I did examine the curves, should leave me with a churn of under 175 psi but the available pressure at 1,750 gpm is about 100 psi.

I can make this happen but all my cross mains need to be 6" and with 6,000 feet of 6" schedule 10 that ain't cheap no more. Last price I got I have nearly $80,000 in 6" pipe alone which isn't counting the 7.5% sales tax With pipe and fittings I figure I can save over $60,000 in total material cost if I can get a pump that will give me 140 to 150 psi discharge @ 1,710 gpm.

Will a variable speed pump do the job for me? I know they cost more, a lot more, but I already have $33,000 figured in the cost of a 1,250 gpm @ 80 psi pump. Even if the the variable speed pump boosts the price by $40,000 (which I doubt it is that much) the cost savings would still be substantial not counting the savings on labor running 4" instead of 6".

Am I correct in thinking a variable speed pump has a larger motor but the controller controls the motors rpm which would keep the total discharge pressure around 160 psi regardless of how much water I am using?

What am I missing or misunderstanding?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Am I correct in thinking a variable speed pump has a larger motor but the controller controls the motors rpm which would keep the total discharge pressure around 160 psi regardless of how much water I am using?

Yes. These drivers clip the pressure range above a predetermined set point, for example 175 psi.

See Clarke PLD for example.

They are made for electric. I believe it is called a variable frequency drive. You will still need a relief valve, just as on a diesel. You may be surprised at what that VFD ends up being in price. It may still be less expensive to use the 6" mains.

Travis Mack, SET, CWBSP, RME-G, CFPS
MFP Design, a Ferguson Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back