Various links related to CO2 Capture

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshPlumSE

Structural
Aug 15, 2008
US
Icelandic Direct Air Capture:

A Chilean paper discussing the chemical absorption (amine based) and alternative for CO2 capture:

One thing that seemed interesting to me about the chilean paper was that it talked about how direct capture wasn't feasible because atmospheric concentrations of CO2 were too low and that the air needed a lot of processing before the CO2 could be efficiently removed. But, it got me thinking about power plants. How, if you took the direct exhaust from burning fuel into the carbon capture process then maybe it could efficiently capture enough of the CO2 to make the power plant more efficient (as far as CO2 emissions per MegaWatt of energy produced).

It sound like the gas / oil companies are already thinking about this.... or at least their marketing people are!

Nature has a wonderful process for capturing CO2. I wonder how much it would cost to grow peat moss or algae or other such crappy plants and then compact / store this carbon? Effectively use the natural process of plant growth and then sequester that captured stored CO2. It's probably not economically feasible. Plus it probably produces a lot of methane and other gases as well. But, it would be nice if there was a way to use nature to help us reduce CO2 concentrations.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that is more like what the aramco guys were talking about.... Using the exhaust gas (which will be much higher in CO2 that what you would have in the atmosphere).

The problem is what would you do with it after capture? Store it presumably. But, to store tons and tons of CO2 would likely start to get problematic. Unless it is put into a chemically stable form that can't leak out over time.

I suspect it depends on the pressure... and keeping it separate from other gases...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Welsh Wales suggests piping it across a marine reserve to an oil temrinal where it gets loaded onto ships and taken to old oil/gas fields in the North Sea.

To be very slightly fair to them, sea transport of bulk liquids is incredibly efficient, even so this reeks of subsidies.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back