Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB app using RSLinx on a different drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubabud

Electrical
May 21, 2003
US
I have a VB app that uses DDE to polls information from several different AB PLC's over ethernet. My RSLinx runs on a server and as long as I run the VB app on the server everthing works well. I want to modify the VB app to run on any PC that has access to the server but use the RSLinx on the server for the communications. Here is the basic code I am using.

lblStatus.Caption = "Status: Connecting"
Screen.MousePointer = vbHourglass
txt75Count.LinkMode = 0
Text1.Text = "RSLinx"
Text2.Text = "19314_SLC505"
Text3.Text = "N67:206"
linktopic = Text1.Text & "|" & Text2.Text
txt75Count.linktopic = linktopic
txt75Count.LinkItem = Text3.Text
txt75Count.LinkMode = 1

Is it as simple as changing Text1.Text = "U:\RSLinx"
U of course being the network drive letter mapped from PC runing the VB app.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure that the other host PCs running your VB app have the proper permissions to access the rslinx share on the server. Make sure that you create a share "rslinx" on the server.Ther areother utilities that can run on the server to allow a host to use the rslinx software. What type of network operation system is running on your server?
Is it windows 2000 server, Netware, linx?

best regards, plcsavvy

We are using Windows 2000 Server.

The network PC does have the proper permission but I'm not sure what you mean by creae a share "rslinx"? What other utilities do you suggest?

Regards,

Scubabud

Are you sharing RSlINX with the host computers? If not, then how do the other computers have the proper permissions to RSLINX? Best regards, plcsavvy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back