Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

VBA Application for AutoCAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggle1

Structural
Apr 12, 2022
US
There is a library I can reference for AutoCAD in the VBA list of references. Currently I'm using AutoCAD 2019. Does anyone have any idea if this library will exist long term? I'd hate to build something only to find out in future updates it won't be available.

Does anyone else use this?
Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's unlikely to disappear.

It's also unlikely to be maintained or updated for compatibility with future versions of AutoCAD, if the object model changes.

Will we all be here tomorrow? There is no one who can answer "Yes" with certainty. We live with many uncertainties.

So the question is, can you make yourself more productive by investing your time and efforts to create a tool? Of course, only you can determine that answer for your particular set of circumstances.

I can testify that on several occasions I have evaluated the essence of your question for an application I wanted to manipulate programmatically, to invested the time to 1) understand that application's object model and 2) develop my own tools to employ and manipulate them. And it paid off many times over.

Because of my circumstances, Excel was my primary platform for analysis and reporting. So I almost exclusively used the VBA Editor in Excel and added the libraries I required as needed. I made use of the Watch Window to discover the properties I needed from any object.

Using Watch Window:
You might check out this site's sister site for computer-related questions.
The VBA Site:

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Is the VBA library provided by AutoDesk? If so, they will likely update it with every new version of AutoCAD. If/when you upgrade to a new version of AutoCAD, you will want to check your code for compatibility. The vendors usually provide a list of commands that are being deprecated or obsoleted. If they are nice, they will also provide a recommended replacement for those functions.

If the library is created by a third party, all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back