Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vector scompsition in two not ortogonal directions

Status
Not open for further replies.

molossi74

Automotive
Aug 17, 2006
IT
Does anyone know a formula where :

I have a vector "c" that forms angle "alfa" with "a" direction and angle "beta" :

Does someyone know a formula in order to have vector (c)components on two direction (a e b) known the angles "alfa" e "beta" ?

Thanks
molossi74

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand the question, you have one vector and you want to find two vectors in the A and B directions that sum to the original vector?

If that's the case, just lay it out on paper and it becomes a triangle problem. You know all the angles and one side, so Law of Sines should get you the other two sides. If A and B are at right angles, then the original vector is the hypotenuse of a right triangle and it's pretty straightforward.

Correct, of course, JStephen. But the original post (at least as far as I understood it) nowhere talks about two vectors summing to make a third vector. It talks about a vector having components in two (other) directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back