Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Vehicle restriction signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACtrafficengr

Civil/Environmental
Jan 5, 2002
US
We have an intersection where large vehicles are off-tracking into a dry-laid stone wall on one corner. I'm getting pressure to come up with a restriction to prevent it. The MUTCD mostly has truck weight restriction signs, and I need something to prohibit longer vehicles that can't make the turn.

Any ideas for a workable sign?

Most of the culprits have apparently been driving tractor trailers and school buses. I'd really rather not prohibit the latter. I think an engineering solution may work better than a regulatory one. I'm going to push some minor widening instead, but we don't have a lot of ROW.
Capture2_frdq2u.png

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is there an alternate route trucks can use to access the area? If so, I would start with a No Trucks Allowed sign (R5-2 and maybe R5-2a) , combined with the intersection ahead sign (W2-1/W2-2).

You may need to visit bus dispatch offices and explain to them and their drivers to not turn here.

If this is the only access point, and the stone wall and building are to be protected, both roads will likely require widening to accommodate the larger vehicles.

Good luck on this one.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back