Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ventilation in Composites Trim Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTwigg

Materials
Nov 29, 2004
CA
We would like to improve the ventilation in a dedicated composites (FRP) machining area. We have a variety of operations which take place in the room including centerless grinding (water bathed), drilling (dry) as well as abrasive cutting and grinding (dry). I'm wondering if anyone has specific guidelines for airflow requirements for composites machining areas. Secondly I'd be interested to hear what has been successful for others in terms of local vs. general area dust control measures. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out Transmatic. They make point-source composite dust pickups for almost any machine made. It really works. I conducted a video test once of a router operation on a 3/8" piece of graphite composite - dust booth vs. point source pickup. The difference was incredible - the dust cloud disappeared - top and bottom. We made them a standard in the particular aerospace company I was with. This was after years of problems with the common dust booth and exhaust extraction systems - including complaints and lawsuits.

Their systems are somewhat unique - but their use is growing even in the FRP industry - boats and bus panels, for instance. I have seen entire factories/maintenance buildings changed from a constant cloud of dust to a comfortable environment.

If you concentrate on the old method of high ventilation, filtration and/or dust booths/tables, you will probably continue to be frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back