Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

VENTILATION OF A PUMP ROOM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taha Mustahsan

Mechanical
Jan 2, 2023
SA
Hello! I am working on the HVAC design of a camp facility and consultant has asked me to design the ventilation of the pump room. This pump room contains the pump for domestics water (booster pump) and pump for swimming pool(circulation pump). In ASHRAE 62.1 I did not find any reference specifically for pump room. Need help. thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The biggest issue will be the heat output from the pump motors, switchgear or any other equipment.

Nothing extra special over that IMHO.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

It is called the mechanical room in the layout plan. The equipment inside consists of two pumps, one booster, and another swimming pool circulation. heating data is available. the issue is, the consultant is asking for the ventilation and cooling design, also he wants to put an exhaust fan there. I am confused about how I can simultaneously give cooling, ventilation and exhaust. did not find anything in the code.

I wrote a performance spec for another HVAC designer to design a mechancal room to the following specifications:

"0.5 Air Changes per Hour as a minimum, or as required to maintain summer design temperature, or as requiuired by the IMC."

I belive the 0.5 ACH came from B62.1 closest similar facility so this is the absluote minimum - this may be considered to be achieved through natural ventilation through door and window cracks, but need to verify.

The summer design temperature was 104F which is the maximum that is allowed for an equipment room before electrical components start to malfunction. And IMC is usually governing code for most localities so it must also be adhered to.

The 104F indoor maximum allowed summer design temperatuere will govern in most cases. So the design will be to remove the heat input by the pump motors and other heat generating items in the room like MCC's and starters if in the same room. Need to get the actual heat input from all electrical items from vendors or from stadard efficiencies quoted (heat input from electrical equipment is always stated as a % of output such as for a motor % odf rated horsepower) in such sources as ASHRAE. Add this to the external heat gain from outside, infiltration, etc. So this will be a standard HVAC caculation that can be done manually or on computer,

If maitining a maximum of 104F is ok then may get by with exhaust or inlet blower ventilation only without HVAC unit. The ammout of air would be just enough that at that flowrate and delta T of ventilation air the exhaust air is at 104 F considering all heat is absorbed by the specific heat of the air - and highest summer design temperature per ASHRAE.

If HVAC is required for to maintain 104F or a lower design temperature if requested by client, usually a mini-split inverter duty variable refrigerant flow unit is used such a manufactured by Carrier, toshiba, mitsubishi, etc.

You also need to decide on your winter indoor design temperature - we use 50 F which we use mostly for mechancal room. Heat input may be required.

Determine all the required airflows and design for the largest. Consider:
- airflow required to keep equipment within spec temperature. This flow can be controlled by thermostat
- airflow for IAQ. this can be code, an industry standard, or any owner requirement. Review your local codes, ask JHA, and investigate any pool or other standards. Maybe there is something like a swimming pool association that has standards. It will depend on if that room also contains the chlorine equipment and so on.

You always have an exhaust and supply.... otherwise you would create a vacuum or overpressure. The code or other standards only list the requirement for one depending on the specific concern. If exhaust is required, you also need to make up the air exhausted. but this could be transfer air from another space. Exhaust also means it needs to leave the building without entering another space. if you have a ventilation requirement, that "exhausted" air often can be return air and can be re-circulated. so read the codes and standards and the intent will become clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back